Google
 

Welcome


Powered by IP2Location.com
Remember . . . When you visit this BLOG and you see a photo you like, just click on the photo to enlarge it.

A Visit from Cigarras

On Oct 22, 2008 I finally got to see live Cigarras in Águas da Prata.



Here are a couple pics of one of our cats, Chico, looking at a cigarra singing loudly on the power pole in front of our house. Chico was wondering how he might safely jump up and catch the Cigarra.




I was sitting on the verandah and I saw two Cigarras fly onto the post. I took two pics here, one without flash and one with flash because the sun had already set. Their singing is ear piercing!




I took several pics but due to the difficulty with lighting I was disappointed with most of them. So one of the Cigarras (there were 5 on the post by now) one of them flew onto the verandah and invited me to take some good closeups with flash. Here he is on the post in the verandah.




It was exciting to get close like this. After all, I had never seen a live one before.




This is a great view from the side. He was over 5cm long.




Here is a good view of his belly. He is a HE because he was singing. SHE`s click!




He stayed up there for quite a while allowing me to take many pics.




Then he decided to go inside the house and look around. As he flew about the living room the cat, Chico, was going crazy over this intrusion into his private domain. The other two cats were not around so they didn`t join the chase. All the dogs just ignored the visitor. You can see the Cigarra on top of the picture frame. At least he didn`t sing in the house. That would have been extremely loud.




Here he is close up. He hung around for half an hour then flew out the door.


For me it was exciting to finally see a live Cigarra. They are amazing insects.



Photos by Urso Branco

No comments:

Support a living planet - Join WWF